Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Got milk?

Okay, so not the most clever title for my breastfeeding post but hey it rings true! Last night I was reading a fellow bloggers experience with nursing and weaning her son and it got me to thinking about my personal journey with it.
Growing up in a large family, babies were always a familiar aspect. My mom and aunts nursed their babes for awhile but also supplemented with formula which seemed like the norm. Super convenient and simple for anyone to help out, I know that was something I looked forward to as a girl was being able to help feed my cousins! 
When I was pregnant with Ryder I knew I wanted to breastfeed and am thankful I was able to do so without any setbacks. As a new mom I had so many questions and in the beginning a lot of concerns, the biggest being "was he getting enough"? At that point I didn't have anyone close to me that had strictly breastfed so I had quite a few people who were so quick to push supplementing or formula altogether. My husband was my biggest supporter and encouraged me to research and stick with it. I am SO glad I did. It's definitely a bit trying when you start out. Painful, time consuming and not exactly convenient but I was determined! The lactation consultants at our hospital were superb and took my countless calls and truly gave me the best advice. It really is helpful when you have a team behind you that are rooting for you to succeed. I of course have nothing against mothers who choose or have to use formula, it was created for a purpose and we all learn what works best for us! With that said, my goal was and is to strictly breastfeed my children. With Ryder boy I was able to nurse until he was 26 months and have absolutely zero regrets about the time frame! Not only is breast best for nutritional value, but there sure isn't anything sweeter than that precious time with your little. I love remembering feeding time with Ryder. He's a big three year old now and it gets me choked up but those are moments I'll cherish forever. He was king of multi tasking when he'd eat. Laugh or smile, gently pull on his hair when he'd wake to nurse in the middle of the night. He'd be a mama's boy anyway I think but I know our bond is closer because of it. Weaning was surprisingly easy for him as we were both ready(I was pregnant with Linc)but still just a little sad nonetheless. Ok, heartbreaking for me! I felt like a rotten mom and disliked that it made him need me just a little less. Just part of them growing up I know but boy it's tough on the heart! 
I was able to have a break until our sweetie Lincoln was born last September and I'm happy to report we're coming up on a year of successful nursing! It's just as incredible of an experience the second time around and a blessing to see the differences that take place with personalities! From the get go, Linc has loved affection. He traces my face, fish hooks my mouth and plays with my hair. He is always so cuddly and just likes to be nestled. It still amazes me that for a short time your baby relies solely on you and you alone to survive. GOD IS SO GOOD! And so cool! I have been lucky to have not had any major issues and am in awe of every mother that has persevered through the hardships! I am looking forward to my continued feeding time with Lincoln and more precious memories! Check out lllusa.org for support, questions and a sea of other mothers in the same boat as you! Happiest Wednesday! 
Love. 

4 comments:

  1. I remember being pregnant with Eisley and I was still breastfeeding Emery at the time. I kept telling myself I was ready for Emery to wean. When the day came and she stopped all on her own I was so sad. I kept saying she wasn't ready but the whole time I wasn't ready for it. Great post Reina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hilary! Thankful to have you to share stories with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your nurslings journey!! we are coming up on our year as Tien is almost one! Definitely a challenging (in the beginning) but rewarding bond. So happy to know other moms that also extend breastfeed :-) sometimes I feel like I'm the only one I know lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Angelica!! So awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete